A town of Hungary, capital of the county of Sáros, 190 m. N.E. of Budapest by rail. Pop. 13,098. It is situated on the left bank of the river Tarcza, an affluent of the Theiss, and has been almost completely rebuilt since a great fire in 1887. Eperjes is one of the oldest towns of Hungary, and is still partly surrounded by its old walls. It is the seat of a Greek-Catholic bishop, and possesses a beautiful cathedral built in the 18th century in late Gothic style. It possesses manufactures of cloth, table-linen and earthenware, and has an active trade in wine, linen, cattle and grain. About 2 m. to the south is Sóvár with important salt-works.
In the same county, 28 m. by rail N. of Eperjes, is situated the old town of "Bártfa," which possesses a Gothic church from the 14th century, and an interesting town-hall, dating from the 15th century, and containing very valuable archives. In its neighborhood, surrounded by pine forests, are the baths of Bártfa, with twelve mineral springs--iodate, ferruginous and alkaline--used for bathing and drinking.
About 6 m. N.W. of Eperjes is situated the village of Vörösvágás, which contains the only opal mine in Europe. The opal was mined here 800 years ago, and the largest piece hitherto found, weighing 2940 carats and estimated to have a value of £175,000, is preserved in the Court Museum at Vienna.
Click any of the links below to automatically search the given site for: Where is Eperjes?